Re: installation problems

>     Massimo> 5)	the base installation was from nfs but the second part of the
>     Massimo> 	installation doesn't have an nfs option. I had to create a mount
>     Massimo> 	point and mount manually the same location used for the base
>     Massimo> 	installation. Why can't we have an nfs install method also for
>     Massimo> 	the second part and use by default the same source used in the
>     Massimo> 	first part?
>
>  Ok, noted.  I don't know how hard it will be to do that yet.  Anyone
>  else see how it can be done?  (I'll have to look it all over again
>  with an eye for doing that.  I've only been around `boot-floppies'
>  for a short time.)
>
>  I guess that `dbootstrap' ought to make notes someplace that the
>  second stage installer can find it.

There are two ways of doing this: the proper way would be to add an nfs
method to apt. I tried to do that but being unable to speak C++ I decided
to go with the hacker way in my auto-installer, i.e. to create automatically
a sources.list with "file:" locations built from the base system location and
a small script which mounts automatically the source on a known mount point.

>  I would like it if `tasksel' would display the information about each
>  task in a lower window, like `dselect' does; when you move the
>  highlight bar with the arrows, the info window changes.  It also
>  ought to open up tasks and allow choosing individual packages inside
>  of them...  Machine profiles is a good idea also.  (I am way behind
>  on the discussions about this sort of thing - I apologize... but I've
>  so much to read other than the email.  As it is I don't read enough
>  in my books; I spend too much time tinkering on the computer.)

Has anybody had a look at Mandrake7.0 package selection? Nothing particularly
exciting, but at least it is usable and you can easily select/deselect any
package.

>     Massimo> 	Most of the questions asked don't seem at all critical and can be
>     Massimo> 	answered by just pressing enter. Anyway I would like to be asked
>     Massimo> 	for critical questions by debconf before starting the package
>     Massimo> 	installation and after unpacking.
>
>  Not every package has been converted to `debconf' yet.  There is not
>  unlimited time available to every maintainer for doing that.  Perhaps
>  there ought to be a task force working on this?  Who will buy us
>  lunch and pay our DSL bills?

Having modified more than sixty (60) package for my auto-installer I can
guarantee that it wouldn't take too much time for each maintainer to
convert his few packages to debconf.

>     Massimo> 12) after having selected almost all tasks I found a system which is
>     Massimo> 	lacking an essential thing like gpm. As I said before mouse and gpm
>     Massimo> 	should be the first things configured.
>
>  GPM is non-essential until the `dbootstrap' GUI can utilize it.

GPM is missing from the final system, not from the bootdisk.

>     Massimo> 19) as for the base installation there is no message log. If something
>     Massimo> 	goes wrong there is no way to examine the error message.
>     Massimo> 	We must run the package installation inside a `script' shell and
>     Massimo> 	save the typescript for later examination. This is an invaluable
>     Massimo> 	debugging aid, specially if you have to help someone on the phone
>     Massimo> 	or via email.
>
>  Perhaps the trick that `script' does can be utilized by the installer software?

It can be done. If you run apt under script all messages will be logged.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |