Re: release.sh - I cannot do it.

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 06:48:47PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Ben> On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 03:05:14AM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>     >>
>     >> I am not going to be able to finish what I started on that script.
>     >> It's a total kludge to have to move the files into place like that.
>     >> The Makefile ought to put them where they belong to begin with.
>     >>
>     >> Revert it, fix it, do what you will with it.  I'm not for this.
>     >> `release.sh' is a crock.
>
>     Ben> Are you saying you broke it and are leaving it for some one else to mess
>     Ben> with?
>
>  Useing a script to move the files into a release stage tree like that
>  is a crock.  The Makefile and scripts that build the images should
>  put them where they belong to begin with.
>
>  I have to look for work this week.  I will not have time to work on
>  boot floppies anymore.  I'm behind on my bills and have to do
>  something about that or I'll be living out of a backpack by spring.
>
>  As far as `br_woody_exp' goes, if you don't like it lump it.  I think
>  that what needs to be done in `boot-floppies' is that the build
>  system needs to be overhauled and that's what I've started in that
>  branch.  I could not do what I did on the trunk right now since it is
>  being used for Potato.  It was a choice between starting a repository
>  of my own and vendor tracking, or creating a branch in the shared CVS
>  repository.  If you don't want my help or don't like my work, say so
>  and I'll split.

What we don't want is developers coming in and changing things so
drastically at the expense of delaying release for no real gain in the end
result. What we had worked, and now it doesn't. The fact that you are now
telling us you wont have time to fix it, is irresponsible on your part.
THe entire release hinges on working boot-floppies, and leaving it in this
state is simply wrong.

I don't personally like to refuse help, but if you continue to lack the
responsibility you have to fellow developers, then I would just as soon
not ask for help. You breaking this and running out on the problem is not
our fault. Heck, the whole idea of CVS is so you can develop locally, then
not screw up everything else in the mean time, and on top of that Adam
asked that we revert to fixing bugs to stabalize the boot floppies, not
change the whole system around to satisfy somes ones pet peaves.

Ben

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '