Re: [CVS] `br_woody_exp' created, I'm a GNU rewrite the Makefiles.

    >> For the graphical installer, I think we should stick to XFree86 and
    >> the xserver-vga16 with a simple lowres lowcolor Gtk+ (glade)
    >> interface.  Perhaps `XF86Setup' could be rewritten to use Gtk+ rather
    >> than Tk?  That would be pretty nifty.  `xvidtune' needs a face lift
    >> also.  Go graphical (X) only when installing from CD-ROM, mounted
    >> partition, or NFS.  Perhaps `dbootstrap_g' can be used from a floppy
    >> install though.
    >>
    >> If the graphical base set has everything but the actual video driver
    >> plugin, then it could ask about your hardware, install the right
    >> driver package, configure the X server, then go to a fancier (higher
    >> resolution, more colors) interface.  Gnome-Apt is looking pretty good
    >> these days.

    Ben> Yeah, that would be nifty if all of the archs supported vga16. However
    Ben> some archs (sparc for one) do not support this. On top of that, none of
    Ben> the Xsun servers can be considered generic enough to work with all sparc
    Ben> architecure video (and this is not "works with most", this is a very even
    Ben> break down between the 4 Xsun servers).

    Ben> So this wont work. I say we stick to fb support.

 Oh.  Does the fb X server work on all architectures where a frame
 buffer works?

 On the i386, at least on this machine, the vesa framebuffer is really
 lousy.  The vertical refresh rate is right around 60Hz, and that's so
 flickery I get headaches in less than an hour at it.  (It would be
 worse in flourescent lighting.)