no window manager, no x-terminal, after installing task-gnome-apps

I don't know that this is a problem with the boot floppies; it might
instead be a problem with some task- package.  I can't figure out just
where the problem lies, and therefore am whining to this list, instead
of reporting a bug, in order to get your ideas about where the problem
lies.

Anyway: I installed from the latest boot floppies, and when I saw the
task selector, I chose to install Gnome Apps, Gnome Desktop, and Gnome
Net.  (Probably redundant, but what the heck).

After those packages got installed and set up, I typed `startx' at the
shell, and was dismayed to see the X server start for an instant, and
then stop.  It printed this on the screen:

        Xsession: unable to start X session: no /root/.xsession found,
        no window managers, and no terminal emulators found.

I shouldn't have to know to choose xterm and twm; they (or
equivalents) should have been included for me.

I was tempted to file a bug against task-x-window-system-core, but I
noticed its description says

 It should be noted that a package providing x-window-manager and a
 package providing x-terminal-emulator should also be installed to
 ensure a comfortable X experience.

So I guess task-x-window-system-core is off the hook.  But I still
should have gotten a terminal and a window manager.  Where does the
responsibility lie?