Re: 2.2.14 boot floppies for testing

Hi, thank you for your help

In <[🔎] oad7qba62f.fsf@arroz.fake>,
 at Date: 05 Feb 2000 12:54:16 -0500,
  on Subject: Re: 2.2.14 boot floppies for testing,
   Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> Taketoshi Sano <kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp> writes:
>
> > I will be very appreciate if you can consider to include the FPU emulation
> > into your compact kernel. I think the floppy install is required especially
> > for old powerless machine, and your effort to reduce the number of floppies
> > will be very appreciated if it could be used to install those machine.
>
> No no no no.  This would make the kernel too large.  Don't ask that
> compact support > 5 year old machines.  That's what the "vanilla"
> flavor of boot-floppies are for.  Why can't you use those images?

OK. The reason of asking the question above is that I found the 15 floppies
are very much to do testing each time. Yes I can do the testing by using
the vanilla flavors, and I have been doing so. Just I think that if I could
use the excellent compact flavor. So if that FPU emu is too large to be "compact",
then please ignore my request. I see the compact should be small.

> > If the FPU emulation code is too large to be included, then I won't complain.
>
> It is.  And even if there was room, it would be better to include net
> drivers than FPU.

Then I keep to use the vanilla flavor for testing. Thanks.

> > We require the kernel with vga16fb to display Japanese (and maybe KR or GB)
> > characters on vfb console. Hatta posted the patch to include vga16fb and
> > to disable that feature unless kernel option is specified.
> >
> > Can you check if you can include that patch to your compact kernel ?
>
> I wonder if this would fit or not.  Did he file the patch to a bug
> against kernel-image-2.2.14 or kernel-image-2.2.14-compact ?

I think yes. Wow, oops, NO. I just find there are no such request on BTS.
I will file this on those packages at BTS.

# I had thought that he did it, but his mail is just sent to
# the maintainer's address, kernel-image-2.2.14@packages.debian.org.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>