Re: 2.2.14 changes committed

Taketoshi Sano <kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp> wrote:

> At the time of writing this mail,
> kernel-image-2.2.14_2.2.14-1_i386.deb is installed only into unstable,
> and there are no 2.2.14 for i386 in frozen.
>
> Maybe some solution is required. I hope the 2.2.14 kernel can go into
> frozen as well as woody.
>
>  # kernel-image-2.2.14-compact_2.2.14-2_i386.deb is installed in
>  # frozen, not in "base" section but "devel" section. Ah, this is not
>  # problem.  Just to note it takes some time for me to found this.
>
> And, I think pcmcia-modules-2.2.14 and pcmcia-modules-2.2.14-compact
> seem to be required for current boot-floppies. pcmcia-modules-2.2.14
> is installed into frozen already. This is OK, and it works for
> boot-floppies, I think.
>
> But, where can we found the pcmcia-modules-2.2.14-compact ?

Nobody had built such a package.  Anyhow, I have now built this package
to accompany version 3.1.10-1 of pcmcia-cs, and I have uploaded it to
Incoming.

Please keep in mind that I'm not the only person in the world who can
build PCMCIA packages.  The PCMCIA sources work with make-kpkg and are
not very difficult to use.  They don't require debhelper or any other
special stuff to build (unlike the kernel-image-2.2.14-compact source).
Therefore, if someone is building a kernel-image-2.2.14-compact package,
which could be installed on laptops, then he SHOULD also build a
pcmcia-modules-2.2.14-compact package to accompany it, or at the very
least, he should tell me about this package, so that I can build the
pcmcia-modules package.

I'm sorry to complain, but nobody ever tells me ANYTHING!  I have a
life; I don't have time to scan the distribution every week or so to see
whether somebody has uploaded a new kernel-image package.

> I think if kernel-image-2.2.14-compact should be installed into
> potato, then the corresponding pcmcia-modules-2.2.14-compact should be
> also.  Otherwise, we can't use compact flavor on i386.

Well, the pcmcia-modules-2.2.14-compact has been built and uploaded to
go into unstable.  I'll leave it to the archive maintainers to decide
whether it should also be shifted over into frozen.

Brian