Re: Current laptop issues with 2.2.5

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 01:21:30PM +0900, Taketoshi Sano wrote:

>     wideMessageBox(_("\nDebian uses mbr/LILO combination to boot up from the harddisk.
> mbr will be installed into Master Boot Record of your first disk (from your BIOS),
> and LILO will be installed into Partition Boot Record of your root partition, or
> the extended partition if you use logical partition as the root filesystem.\n
> You should make sure mbr can not boot up from the logical partition directly, nor
> boot up from other devices than your first hard disk."),
> in make_bootable(void). e.g.

If I understand you correctly, then I am sorry but I disagree: there
are several possible scenarios for using LILO with either the LILO MBR,
some other MBR (eg. the MS-DOS one) and the LILO second-level bootloader,
or some other second-level loader such as boot manager.

I think it better to avoid giving the appearance that LILO's MBR is
required.  Most users I see dual boot and I tend to recommend they stay
with their exiting MBR and loader (since it is much easier to boot Linux
with most anything than boot Windows from everything else ;-)

Regards,

Mark.