Re: new after-boot config (long)

On Jan 08, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 04:50:26PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 02:14:08AM -0800, Joey Hess was heard to say:
> > > Debian makes available some non-free software. though this software is not
> > > part of Debian proper, it can be installed with apt. This software has
> > > limitations on its distribution, modification, and/or use. Do you wish to
> > > use this software?
> > >
> > > Use non-free software? [n]
[...]
> >   I think this could be a problem.  The people installing at higher priorities
> > are more likely to be newbies, and are likely to need at least one program
> > from non-free (netscape).  While I think I understand the reason you're
> > defaulting that question to 'n', I think that either the default should be
> > changed, or the question's priority should be upgraded (preferable, I think).
> > Otherwise we're going to be deluged in complaints that people can't find
> > netscape on a fresh Debian install..
>
> For that matter, many newbies will see "use non-free software?", think
> "ugh, I don't want to have to pay for anything", and choose no.
>
> Of course, I know what it means, and you know what it means, but I spend
> a fair amount of time answering questions on #debian@irc.debian.org, and
> I'm already wincing at the number of complaining users this will generate...
> I also understand, even support the decision that puts the default at [n],
> but the description should probably be more explicit, even to the point of
> mentioning netscape by name.

How about:

---
Debian makes available some software that does not meet the Debian
Free Software Guidelines (in the "non-free" archive).  Though this
software is not part of Debian proper, it can be installed with apt.
This software has limitations on its distribution, modification,
and/or use.  Examples of these programs include Netscape Navigator and
Adobe Acrobat Reader.  Some of these programs have free alternatives
you may wish to investigate.  Do you wish to make this software
available for installation?

Allow installing software from "non-free"? [n]
---

This (a) mentions what non-free "buys" you; (b) mentions that these
programs often have free alternatives; and (c) removes the implication
that some non-free software will actually be installed if you answer
yes (all it does is make it installable).

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence         |        Get Debian GNU/Linux CDROMs        |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>    |       http://www.lordsutch.com/cds/       |
|       Debian Developer        |    Join the party that opposed the CDA    |
|    http://www.debian.org/     |             http://www.lp.org/            |