Re: language-chooser

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 03:00:26PM +0300, Michael Sobolev was heard to say:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 12:59:22PM +0100, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> [ a copy of my previous message removed ]
> > I do not know how common it is in for other languages, but many words in
> > Polish language which contain Polish national characters may be written in
> > such way, that ASCII characters will be put in their places.
> I doubt this would work for japanese. :)  There is a way for writing Russian
> using only ASCII characters, but this is an UGLY way; I do know that in French
> you may omit all those accents without loosing a lot; in German you may replace
> those umlauts with a combination of the same letter and `e'.  BUT we just
> cannot take this into an account: replacing certain characters with others will
> create more problems than it solves.

  Remember, though, that this isn't really supposed to be a general solution
(unless I'm missing the point of this discussion :) ) -- all that's needed
is a way to present the name of the language in the language itself once (before
the user selects a language)  Maybe not every language can be represented
properly, but I think it's probably better to display some languages (eg,
German/Deutsch) this way than to not do it at all.  Unless having mixed English
and non-English names isn't acceptable..

  Daniel