Re: Potato from scratch. Thanks. (fwd)

Hi.

In article <E1209ov-0007Ql-00@rakefet>,
  at Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:54:15 +0200,
    on Potato from scratch. Thanks. (fwd),
 Shaul Karl <shaulk@israsrv.net.il> writes:

> I got the ppp connections to my ISP working, but in the base system there
> is (again) no possibility to read man pages. I couldn't find the apt-get
> man page on the Debian homepage, so I'll fiddle a little myself later
> today. But I've always wondered about one thing: how do you know the name
> of the package you want to install. At least with dselect you have a menu
> to search. Now I want to install Midnight Commander, so I guess that is
> "apt-get -d install mc" (I'd like to download the package as well for use
> on another machine and I've read the -d flag will do that).
>
> But now I want to install X, so is "apt-get -d install X" right? Then how
> do I choose that the right server is being downloaded? This always puzzled
> me a bit, but I guess the answer will come in time :-)

If you have apt-cache command (I think you have), then try to use

 "apt-cache search ^xserver"

You may get the list of the packages of X servers.

You can use "apt-cache show <package-name>"
 to check a package from the list more closely.

> Anyways, I'm happy to have a Potato system too now.

Yes. Potato will be a greatest one for us :)

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>