Re: Booting on an Intel SC450NX 4-way (4x Xeon)

Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Ater booting the keyboard was back to US layout and not the selected
> german layout so theres some bug in the keymap handling.

Please test this again when I upload 2.2.2 (hopefully, on Monday or
Tuesday) and file a bug if it's broke.

> A bit later dselect/select came up with a slight problem with perl
> (bringing up the sugestion screen) but suggested a working
> correction. Just a unwanted extra screen.

Hmm... maybe filing a perl bug is called for.  Not sure.

> First round:
> ------------
> pcmcia-cs failed during removing with: "no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices"
> "/sbin/cardctrl eject" in the prerm script is the bad one here.

I'm pretty sure that a bug is filed already about this -- can you
confirm that?  Make it severity Important.

> Second round:
> -------------
> debconf didn´t work (unitialized variables) during unpacking and all
> broke.
>
> Running dpkg-reconfigure debconf and saying not to preconfigure
> packages and to use the textmode configuration helped.

Interesting -- feel like tracking this down and filing a bug?

> Third run:
> ----------
>
> Whats this LDAP stuff?
>
> gettext failed to install (xemacs-common is not yet installed/configured)

Woah.  Um... do you mean emacs-common?  gettext was removed from base
between 2.2.1 and 2.2.2.  So I think this bug is already fixed in
2.2.2.

> apt-get install smail
>
> exim get removed and smail installed, but no configuration (I skipped
> exims configuration).

perhaps a bug report ought to be filed?  I am no tsure...

> apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.13
> cd /usr/src
> tar -xIvvf kernel-source-2.2.13.tar.bz2  [ bunzip2 is missing ]
>
> Shouldn´t bzip2 be essential?

Dunno.  The package should depend on it anyway.  Please file a bug.

> With vga framebuffer (just too see the 4 penguins at boottime :) so
> some of the system time is probably for the vga16 framebuffer.

I wish someone would point me to documentation on using the VGA
framebuffer stuff.  I read the doco about it and got very confused.