Re: Debian Boot Floppies CVS: boot-floppies andersee

On Mon Nov 29, 1999 at 10:44:42PM +1100, Greg Schafer wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 08:30:42PM -0800, Erik B. Andersen wrote:
> > CVSROOT:	/cvs/debian-boot
> > Module name:	boot-floppies
> > Changes by:	andersee	1999-11-28 20:30:42
> >
> > Modified files:
> > 	utilities/busybox: Changelog tar.c
> >
> > Log message:
> > Fixed tar so uid/gid/permissions on extracted tarballs will be correct.
> > -Erik
>
> Thanks for this. However, I think there is a problem :-/
>
> I'm testing a new build and get a kernel "oops" while extracting
> base2_2.tgz. Something about "unable to handle to kernel NULL pointer
> dereference at virtual address". Offending process is "tar". Sorry, but I
> have no idea on what to do at this point.
>
> I'm still building with 2.2.12 if thats any help.

Hmm. That is wierd. Of course the first rule of Unix (well, ok I'm
making that part up) is that if the kernel Oopses, it is a kernel bug.
User space is not supposed to hose the kernel. I tested things last
night with a tarball comprised of /dev and /tar from my home system.
I'll try it base2_2.tgz and then with base2_2.tgz and the kernel from
the boot floppies.

BTW, rule #2 of Unix is to always run the Oops through ksymoops to
figure out the kernel stack trace. Mind trying that?

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org