Re: Language support

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 01:03:22PM +0100, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
>  only if we can't doit for potato with one floppy ... not in time ...
And this "one floppy", what does it contain?  Let me list what I know of:

    -- boot loader
    -- linux' kernel
    -- initial ramdisk (compressed??)

Correct?  All files like programs, support files are on this ramdisk, correct?

> >     -- current.  right after loading syslinux presents the user with a possibility
> >        to specify a set of additional parameters for the kernel.  at the same time,
> >        the user may browse additional information using F1-F10.  In this case, we
> >        just *have* to provide one image for every language, as, if I understand
> >        correctly, syslinux is not localizable.
>
> This setup is before linux is loaded. I prefer it after loading linux, because syslinux
> is only available for i386 (and alpha?). Other loaders for != ia32 aren't so comfortable.
<aol/>.  I want the linux loaded as soon as possible. :)

> >     -- a new one. :)  syslinux (or other boot loader) loads default kernel without
> >        waiting for *any* user input.  right after that the user is presented with
> >        a menu of possible languages (localized environments), and then she tries
> >        to configure her kernel (by adding necessary modules).
> >        UNFORTUNATELY, I do not know whether this is ever possible.  I believe
> >        there are devices for which drivers should be compiled-in.
>
> Yup, this is the way we should go, and it is possible. It's more or less the same way
> as to select keyboards and mices.
Hmm.  I do not quite understand: is it the way we are trying to go, or is this the way
we should look at, and start working in this direction?

--
Mike