Re: New style raid support during install (was Re: kernel support, v0.36 v's v0.9)

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 05:10:15PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> >
> > Ok -- I'm forwarding this also to the kernel-image maintainer, Herbert
> > Xu, for comment.  Could this be modularized, btw?
>
> It can be modularised if we used initrd.  Otherwise it can't.

On the assumption that the *boot* disk is not raid, can't it be
modularized?

> One thing to note is that our kernel-image is already so close to the
> maximum size for bzImages that I had to disable a couple of things last
> time around just to get it to build.

Yikes.

> So we probably can't add to many features until we get initrd going for
> *both* the install floppy and insalled systems.

Yeah -- that seems like more than we wanna bite off for potato.  I'm
hoping that woody (whatever the next release name is) features more
automated module/hardware detection and initrd.