new slink install from dos partition: dbootstrap cannot find base

[Fwd: Re: Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 for x86 Installation Problem]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 for x86 Installation Problem
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:38:56 -0400
From: Robert J Cristel <rcristel@sprint.ca>
To: Dean <destruss@rconnect.com>
CC: hendy@ratelindo.co.id, ratirh@cs.purdue.edu
Newsgroups: linux.debian.user

Hi Dean,

My reply is somewhat tardy because I had some html in my original post
to debian-user
so it didn't get on.  With this problem, I almost missed your post
altogether. Sorry.

Ok, I would like to take this opportunity to discuss this important
point further with
you.

Dean wrote:

> Hi Robert & Hendy
>  I missed your post Hendy but did have this one from Robert. It was
> about 1 or 2
> months ago

Here it is in the debian mail list archives:
 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9907/msg00873.html

> I installed this way. Are you stuck after your selection of
> 4.harddisk?

Yes.

> As I recall after selecting harddisk a screen came up with where is the
> files located. In my case I had them in /hda1 .

Installation first asks what partition,
then what path is the debian archive located at,
then in what directory.

(Right there, your eyebrows are raised a little bit, are they not?
Asking for a path,
then for a directory...  What's going on?)

So there's three questions in all
plus a 'pick from list' or 'manual' question thrown in for good measure.

> Somehow installation
> automatically mounted
> this after I showed them where the files where.          Dean

Wow. I don't get it at all.

Best Regards,
Robert