Re: Essential bloat [was: Debian on CDROM]

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Clint Adams wrote:

> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:40:45 -0400
> From: Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org>
> To: Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
> Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org, debian-boot@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Essential bloat [was: Debian on CDROM]
>
> > Nobody in his right mind uses disks anymore. You eigther have a
> > network to somewehre (internet or local net) or you store the stuff on
> > a CD, zip or partition.
>
> I use floppies for every installation I do.  And quite frequently
> the system has some wacky NIC that requires a kernel recompile with
> a patched driver before it will even talk to the net.
>
> If nobody in his right mind uses disks anymore, why do we have 1.2M and
> 1.44M floppy images?
Probably for the 100 or so people in the USA and millions of less technically
driven people around the world who still run old 386 and 486 computers without a
network connection or CD-ROM drive.  Here in the USA, it is much more difficult
to find people who want to run Linux and have anything less than a 486 with
CD-ROM drive, but they are still out there, trying to learn, and finding it
difficult.

							Dave Bristel

debian-devel-request@lists.debian.org