Re: Updates to ash and busybox

Erik Andersen <andersen@xmission.com> writes:

> I've made some updates (as part of my working for lineo) that I'd like
> to see added to the boot floppies since things behave better now (and
> since I'm a Debian guy too :).
>
> I have made some updates to busybox (better tar, added chroot, better
> dd, added a simple grep, etc). I'm not done (heck, they are paying me to
> fix it and since we do embedded stuff, fixing up busybox fits in nicely
> and also lets me help the boot floppy team.) Still pending for busybox
> are some additions to date that I just got a patch for.
>
> Anyway, if you have any suggestions or bug-fix requests for busybox,
> please let me know!
>
> Would folks be interested in me making a .deb out of this? It would only
> take a few minutes, and would avoid needing to hide the source in the
> boot-floppies package, per the current way of doing stuff.

I think this is a good idea -- however, busybox is actually maintained
by Bruce Perens.  Have you gotten in touch with him?

If there are fixes and whatnot, do you think for now you could perhaps
patch the busybox as found in the boot-floppies CVS area?  Do you need
info on how to get at that area?

> I also just took the latest ash from netbsd and ported it back over to
> Linux. I changed the makefile so it will use GNU make thereby removing
> the dependancy on pmake as well. Also I added in a nice patch I swiped
> from our friends at the Linux Router Project which makes ash obey Debian
> keyboard policy (BS backspaces and DEL deletes, ^a, ^e, HOME, END, and
> arrow keys do expected things, etc). And I fixed up the debian/rules
> file so that it compiles w/o pmake as well.

Hurm.  Could you get in touch with the ash maintainer?  If there's an
updated ash in potato, we'll use it in boot-floppies...

> Could you take a look and make sure I didn't miss anything? If all
> looks well, I be happy to have this released as the latest Debian
> boot-floppies package.

Again, it's probably easiest for us to peruse the busybox changes as a
diff against what's in the busybox area of the boot-floppies CVS
repository.