Re: GRUB

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 12:56:49PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 08:09:54PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > > I'm quite sure we're not going to go with grub in potato.
> >
> > No prob, but, why not? As a teacher I surely know that the
> > 1024cyl problem is going to become a show-stopper very soon.
>
> The only reason why not is that

That's three reasons :-)

> (a) it's not all that well testing,

Hmm not so true, at least the recent GRUB thread on -private
makes me think it's tested enought.

Then again perhaps the best idea would be to offer both? Ok
this makes base.tgz even bigger, but might be well worth it.

> (b) some of it's configuration stuff is at this point even more
> obscure than lilo,

Configuration, yes, but this would be handled mostly by us
(more exactly, a script, probably adapted from the RH or Slack
lilo configuration stuff).

Once it's working it's a lot more simple and intuitive than LILO.

> (c) it doesn't yet have some of lilo's features > IIRC,

Which _important_ features it lacks? (Not to sound challenging,
just glad to be informed).

> and most importantly, (d) we are supposed to *freeze* in 4
> weeks!

This one is easy to ``fix''. We may work on GRUB in a kind of
``branch'', and only merge it in if it's really working before
the freeze. Which, BTW, I don't think will happen this soon.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.