Re: Boot-Floppies: task packages

* "Paul" == Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> wrote:

Paul> I'm not on boot-floppies, so please cc me on any followups.
Paul> On Tue 14 Sep 1999, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

Paul> I had a look at task-dialup.ctl. It looks basically sound, only
Paul> not if the dialup goes over ISDN.  I'd suggest the following
Paul> packages for dialup over ISDN (task-isdndialup ?):

I use ISDN myself, so I know what you mean. You can connect with pppd
with ISDN using the ttyIx devices, but a seperate task will be better
I think.

task-dialup-isdn, which depends on task-dialup + the additional
packages looks like a good solution.

Paul> (suck and ncftp should probably also go into tesk-dialup;

Why suck, if there is leafnode? A small ftp client is a good
idea. Although I would put lftp in there.

Paul> sox and mgetty are for the additional facilities offered by isdn
Paul> i.e. vboxgetty (answering machine) and X.75 logins).

OK for sox, but mgetty? Maybe for a so far non-existent task-dialin
package, but I don't know why it should be part of task-dialup.

Paul> I'm not sure about the anacron for the dialup either, that's
Paul> more dependent on whether your system is on 24/7 or switched off
Paul> regularly.  My systems are dialup, but are always powered up!

Anacron doesn't do any harm in this case, and most dialup systems
don't run 24/7. I am aiming at a "general" case, so the benefits of
anacron take precedence.

Thanks,
	Martin