Re: dzinstall 1.0.40

Martin Keegan <mk270@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Matt Porter wrote:
> > Who are the pmac developers out there?  I'm wondering if I need to set up
> > the Starmax I have available at work and do the work (even though I've
> > hardly even touched a Mac before).  I feel like nobody with Mac know-how
> > is interested in boot-floppies development.
>
> Probably because it's a waste of time with the current model. For a start,
> you have to find a machine whose firmware can see the floppy drive (this
> rules out G3s, and maybe iMacs) and can read it reliably (this rules out
> most models before 1997). On top of this you have the problems of
> modifying the firmware to read some named kernel image off a floppy (which
> means having MacOS (not an option for some) or having a Mac printer cable
> to use the serial port, etc, etc - not something a newbie is going to be
> about to do to her beloved Mac.

I think when Matt mentioned boot-floppies developement, he meant,
'boot-floppies' the package -- which is a misnomer, since it includes
CD booting, OS installers, TFTP, etc.

If there are some subarches such as pmac which cannot have literal
boot floppies, then so be it.  Still, boot-floppies should be adopted
to build OS installers (i.e., from MacOS), TFTP images, CD-ROM
bootable images, etc.

So I think I'd rather have you direct your effort to those other
alternatives...