sound config

I been following the debian mailing lists and newsgroups since november
and the problem that most people seems to be having is either with the
ethernetcard, soundcard or X.
My question regards the soundcard
My personal experiance with soundcards and linux (not just Debian), is
that soundcards is very hard to get working the first time. often it
requires several kernelrecompilations. When you try to choose which things
to choose from the soundcard menu (when running make menuconfig) you try
to distinguise which thing that is really relevant to my card. I usually
fall back to alsa which is a breeze to install, and works beutifully for
me. now to the point: There shoulnt be that hard to make a menu with
already preconfigured soundcards (configs taken from functioning systems)
and when you choose for example AWE64-PnP the program writes the correct
stuff to the kernel makefile, or the alsa makefile, then describing how to
use pnpdump to configure pnp (I know that Tom Lee on this list is working
on a ISA-PnP scanner). and if space allows it could maybe load precompiled
modules.

how does this sound
/nisse