Unidentified subject!

Package: ???
Version: 2.1 (files on rescue disk all dated 03/03/99)

When I boot my IBM Thinkpad 770 from the 1st Debian CD-ROM, I get the
welcome screen and the BOOT prompt.
There is press <Enter> and see 'Loading root.bin ...........' and 'Loading
linux ....................'.

Then the screen blanks and the machine reboots.

I've crawled through old bug-reports and found similar problems with other
laptops, which are claimed to be solved.
However, neither the 'floppy=thinkpad' nor booting from floppy (which I
created from the CD-ROM with RAWRITE) with the RESC1440.bin,
RESC1440-safe.bin, nor with the two tecra images nor with the small memory
images work.

On an IBM Thinkpad 770E, the same happened, except, that the screen does
not blank and there is no re-boot. However, the system
hangs totally and power-off is necessary.

What should I do? I want Debian on my laptop.

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen   Roland Oberle