Re: Ignoring dependance on "important" packages?

> Stephane> A general problem with 'tasks and profiles as regular
> Stephane> packages' is the deletion. Once packages have been pulled in
> Stephane> by a dependency on task-something, there is no way to
> Stephane> suppress them (but one by one).

Very true.  You'd have to use recommends or suggests to be able to do
this I suppose.  Too bad apt utterly ignore recommends and suggests.

"Martin Bialasinski" <martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de> writes:

> I haven't read the dpkgv2 proposal yet, but a useful thing would be
> one-shot packages, that won't actually install, so their dependancy
> requirements are only used in this one run of the package tool.

Interesting -- so, a package maybe that marked itself for removal
after installation?  Is that possible/legal?

And why exactly do you want to do that?  I could see how getting
continuing updates of "metapackages" would be useful (i.e.,
task-sgml-dev, meaning, give me all the SGML development tools; as new
packages are added, I add them to the metapackage).