Re: New installation program(s)?

On debian-boot, Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> wrote:
> N: Network (from a Debian Network Installation server that
>    stores config data; I'm going to call this DNI for the
>      purposes of this message)

For the DNI have a look at RFC 2244:

           ACAP -- Application Configuration Access Protocol

> NL   if using DNI, "install mode" - see later for what's this -
>      is going to be "DNI", so we don't make any further
>      questions to the user (and don't even attempt graphic
>      mode).

What would be wrong with a graphical progress bar?

> NU   keyboard layout (is there some way to detect this?)

Oddly enough no. Where a guess can be made from the language, the user will
still have to confirm though, I know people who have French as their first
language and would like the install in French, but use a machine with a QWERTY
layout rather than AZERTY.

You might be able to auto-detect a Windows 95 keyboard, I am not sure. Why you
would want to is another question? I mean what are you going to use the
Windows keys for?

> NU   install mode. Options are "auto" or "custom"; "auto" means
>      choosing from one installation profile; then all things
>      from now on marked "U" are asked to the profile instead of
>      the user, with the exception of the partition layout. If
>      "auto" is chosen, then we ask _now_ for root's password, so
>      that the user may go get a coffe or something.

And ask for the details of the first normal user?

> ---  BOOT into the install. This may require serious hacks if we
>      want a real "auto" mode, because we want to get into the
>      newly installed system, not the install (CD|floppy|...)
>      again.

CD boots, detects half finnished install and passes control to the hard drive.

> NDU  drivers. Even in "U" mode, we should ask as little as
>      possible unless user said something like "expert" somewhere

Difficult with ISA

> NDU  base system config (hmm, if we already have language,
>      timezone and network, what's missing? WM, if we have X?)

Select a standard WM with a nice Debian theme. I suggest Window Maker.

> NU   let dpkg configure packages - of course we need a way to
>      make this non-interactive, but this discussion is old :-)

Joey Hess is working on this, and he is being paid as well.

> Well, as of partition layout in "auto" mode (or "DNI" mode if
> the server tells the client to ask):
>
> IMVHO the very nice "fsresize" package is what we want if we
> don't find free space. But then, even if the user already told
> us to don't ask anything anymore, we will want to ask how much
> space to cut off from the existing OS.

Take enough for all the packages and give it to Debian, then cut the rest in
half between Debian and the otherfs.

> Hmm... I overdid it again :-)

I do not think so.

--