"live" fs (Re: Strategy for boot-floppies)

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 09:22:59PM -0500, Mark Blunier wrote:

> It should be able to be done on a 1.44 meg boot image, but a 2.88MB floppy
> would be even better.  My live cd (http://www.ocslink.com/~blunier/) boots
> off a 1.44MB image, and runs a full distribution off a CD, without using
> the hard drive.  One of the reasons I made it was to use it as an install
> disk (besides a cool demo CD).  After booting the system, partition the
> hard drive, make a file sytem, mount the file system, then copy the CD to
> the mounted partition, run lilo, and reboot (removing the CD).

I like the idea of a "live" fs (CD or NFS), but... with no swap,
and 4 or 8M already on the ramdisk, wouldn't this leave too
little RAM?

(Ok, you ask, what does one thing have to do with the other?)

Well, the advantage of a "live" fs is to give us room for, for
example, a graphical installation tool. Would it run? What's the
memory footprint of a no-frills X-server, no wm, very simple
GTK+ app? (Or perhaps perl-gtk script if we want to go this way)

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.