Re: Strategy for boot-floppies

Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@cs.unitn.it> writes:

> Yes, I'm still working on my installer. When it is usable I will upload
> to my home page.

Why not request access to boot-floppies CVS?  If we trust you, you
don't even need to be a developer to work on this, either sending in
patches or writing via pserver.

I think the following seems to be the best scenario:

  * boot floppy (1.4MB, possibly kernel + initrd)

  * root floppy (1.4MB, root file system compressed)

  * modules disk(s) (arbitrary number of modules etc, hopefully no
    more than two)

Alternatively, the boot/root could be merged in a 2.8 MB ElTorito
image, with modules in some other location.

TFTP already merges boot/root AFAIK in the TFTP image.  This should be
generalized for all architectures.  Hopefully we could spin off a
Debian "boot-server" package from boot-floppies with this data.

Can we get some consensus?  CD team, does this sound good to you?