Re: i18n for boot-floppies

Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > while creating German boot-floppies and have encountered some minor
> > glitches.
> >
> > One of them was that I had to include some .mo files for applications
> > used on the root.bin.
> [...]
> > However this patch only works for German boot floppies which cannot
> > be used generally.
> >
> > Thus we need some generic mechanism that has a set of textdomains
> > and will add them if neeeeded.
>
> BTW, I had a miscommunication with Joey.  He was doing hacking on the
> slink branch by accident.

Most of the work had to be done anyway since I urgently needed german
boot-floppies in order to provide them for two German Slink distributions
I've made.

> Joey, one other important tidbit is that the potato LINGUA / messages
> handling is a little different (using something called "pointerize")
> -- I don't know if that impacts your proposed solution.

I have to review.

However, what I proposed is a different issue unless we're going
to link tools like modconf, mke2fs and cfdisk into dbootstrap instead
of including an external program.  I have i18n-versions of these three
programs lying around which I've included.  I have to finish i18n
and commit the changes though.

> We've talked on this list how the idea of building images on a per
> language basis is kinda horked.... did we ever solve that?

I don't know about 'horked' but if it is what I guess, then I agree.
Yesterday I had some communication with some friends and we found out
that we would end up in >500 boot floppies otherwise:

6 architectures (some come with up to 20 subarch's, so we have to count
  6 + (5x powerpc), (23x alpha), (3x m68k), (2x sparc), (2x intel) =~ 40

10 languages currently

--> 39 x 10 boot-floppies = 400 boot-floppies

And we'll get more arch's and subarch's as well.

Regards,

	Joey

--
If you come from outside of Finland, you live in wrong country.
	-- motd of irc.funet.fi