Approaching potato release

     One of the major documentation problems during the slink release
was that the installation and upgrading tools were being developed
simultaneously with the organization of the CD sets and the
documentation.  It wasn't until some time after the release that I
learned about some important details that should have been in the
Release-Notes.

     During my correspondence with J.A. Bezemer <costar@panic.et.tudelft.nl>
regarding the Release-Notes, I commented on this problem.  She replied:

> ;-)  Same problem with me (I'm maintaining the Dutch Debian MAnual, which is
> very release-specific, so can only be updated when the final release is
> ready). Hmmm... maybe there should be "pre-release" CDs on which only
> documentation is allowed to change before the final release...

     Wonderful idea, but . . .

     I believe we should have a goal to have all documentation
finished, except for last minute additions, by the time of freeze.  I
believe it is not too soon to publish the first appeal to developers
for information for the Release-Notes.  I believe such an appeal might
be lost in the noise on -devel.  Would it be appropriate to post this
appeal on -devel-announce?

     Some recent messages on deb-devel suggest that a 2.2 kernel will
be required with glibc2.1+.  It appears that a 2.2.x kernel image must
be installed and booted, or 2.2.x kernel sources must be installed,
compiled and booted, before upgrading.  This will make the upgrade as
big a deal for some users as the libc5-libc6 upgrade.

     Adam, can we set up two sets of conditionals for Release-Notes so
the document can be built for either the web version or the CD version
in all archs?

Bob
--
   _