Re: Corel and Debian Development was:( Lothar Project)

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 12:36:53PM -0400, Dave Neil wrote:
> Dave here from Corel,
> Lothar seems very interesting. We definitely are going to want hardware detection
> and are studying different ideas at this time.  On a related note, there seems to
> be some overlap
> as far as the need to involve different groups of developers in regards to this
> and other setup issues. Would a site devoted to basically posting  develop ideas
> and joint status be of use?
> Corel could setup the site .  How comfortable are all of you with having our
> presence on your lists? To me it'll be great to cooperate, however I in no way
> want Corel to be perceived as intruding into Debian's space. If anyone has some
> ideas of how we can work together and avoid this please let me know. Bottom line
> is we want to help and not be intrusive.

I think a site dedicated to cooperation between debian and corel would be a
great idea. Maybe something specifically for user friendly issues, hardware
detection comes to mind here. I can't speak for everyone else but I for one
welcome corel's involvement in debian and look forward to working together.

As a side note, has anyone started on hw-detection yet? PCI should be
relatively simple, isapnp will be some work but I posted a sample database
here earlier and I think it would be a good start. I've already looked at
lothar's detect library and it doesn't look like what we actually need,
their database doesn't even have a way to map isapnp parameters to modules.
Any ideas on how to start work on this?

--
Stephen Crowley
Debian GNU/Linux - http://www.debian.org