Re: Notebook install

On 25 Apr 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Bob Hilliard <hilliard@flinet.com> writes:
>
> >      I believe this is a fresh install.  I have recently learned that
> > dselect automatically selects every package of standard or higher
> > priority the first time it sees it.  You have to hit `D' (Shift-D) to
> > make it revert to directly requested packages.  emacs19 and emacs20
> > are both Priority: standard.
> >
> >       Personally, I think this behavior of dselect is evil, especially
> > now that the install script offers preselections.
>
> If your using profiles, you're supposed to skip the '[S]elect' step.  This
> is very clearly indicated and well documented

I seem to recall having problems when I skipped this step.  Something like
no packages being selected that apt could see.  It has been quite a while
since I did this, so I could be comletely wrong now (assuming something
has changed).

Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell  bmitch@atdot.org  http://bmitch.dhis.org/  ICQ 30631197 |
| Throughout history, UNIX systems have regularly been broken into, beaten, |
| brutalized, corrupted, commandeered, compromised, and illegally fscked.   |
|                                    -- UNIX System Administration Handbook |