Re: Slink bootdisks on an MCA machine (PS/2 9595)

On 18 Apr 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Jor-el <jorel@ibm.net> writes:
>
> > 	Someone who saw my post responded to me saying that if I used the
> > <Ctrl>-<ScrollLock> combination, I would be able to see what was the
> > actual process that was hanging. I tried this, and a lot of other key
> > combinations that I could think of, with nary a response. Whereupon, the
> > correspondant suggested that the kernel itself is hanging.
> >
> > 	What do you suggest I do? I would have filed a bug ordinarily, but
> > I'm pretty sure that you guys who are the ones actively building boot
> > disks dont have access to such a machine, and hence, might not be able to
> > debug it.
>
> What is the symptoms?  It simply hangs after loading the root
> filesystem RAMDISK ?  Are you sure it's not bad ram or some such?

	Sigh! I wish it were only RAM or some such thing, but it isnt. I
have another machine of the same model, and it displayed the same
symptoms. The symptom, in this case, was hanging after displaying the
'Starting kswapd' message.

	I also have access to a model 8595, which is a PS/2 MCA machine
(earlier model than the 9595), and the debian boot disks work fine on it.
So the problem appears to be limited to this specific model.

	Since the real-time clock gets activated right after kswapd, I
speculated that maybe this was what was causing the problem. However, even
after I built a bootdisk with the real-time clock disabled, it still
failed to work.

	I guess I shall try and see if anyone on th linux-mca list can
help me.

Jor-el