Re: Slink bootdisks on an MCA machine (PS/2 9595)

Jor-el <jorel@ibm.net> writes:

> 	I just tried the Slink bootdisks (the standard and the safe ones)
> on a PS/2 model 9595 machine that I have access to. This specific model
> has the known problem that the FPU coupling test at boot time disables the
> halt interrupt timer, and so the boot will only work if one uses the
> 'no-hlt' boot parameter to the kernel. This disables the check for the
> 'hlt' instruction and lets the boot proceed. (*)

> (*)  Obviously needs to be documented somewhere in the Debian install
> guide.

I'd love to document it.  Obviously, it would go somewhere around
<URL:http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/ch-rescue-boot.en.html>.

What is the symptom of this happening?  A hang when after the kernel says
   Checking 'hlt' instruction...
?

> 	Ok, so I did that, but the boot hang at the point where kswapd is
> being started. Or atleast, that is the last message that appears on the
> console before the machine goes comatose. Has anyone gotten past this
> point?

Of course -- I've installed the system dozens of times, personally, on
two different architectures.  Do you really think the Debian
boot-floppies would be that broken?