Re: debian 2.1r3 needed and release team coordination

Adam Di Carlo writes:

[ some sensible stuff in general. Comments on specific bits below ]

>IMHO, we should be thinking about Debian 2.1r3.  This is what I think
>needs to be in Debian 2.1r3 and why we need it:

2.1r_3_??? Have I missed something?

>  * utterly broken packages and things should be fixed -- jadetex is
>    broken (jadetex for which I shall NMU for stable soon); there are
>    a number of things for Debian/sparc that I know of that are broken
>    (setserial which hardcodes IRQs, permissions on /dev/fd* are
>    wrong, /dev/mouse doesn't exist)
>    Rationale: we're probably talking about < 10 packages where we
>    need to identify the problems and fix them; no new upstream
>    sources required here AFAIK)

OK, sounds fine.

>  * kernel-image 2.0.36 on i386 has very broken Adaptec (namely,
>    AIC7xxx) support
>    Rationale: boot-floppies is getting flooded with bug reports about
>    this

Hmmm. I've yet to see an aic7xxx release that works for everybody - why
do Adaptec have to be so crap about hardware specs?

>  * we're ready with boot-floppies for Croatian and French versions; I
>    bet slink-cd isn't yet ready, but even so it would be nice to
>    release these

slink-cd isn't ready? If you don't think so, then let me know what's
missing _now_ before I go off to the US at the weekend.

>    Rationale: try to start momentum for multi-lingual Debian, which
>    is a major goal of potato, IMHO
>
>What I'd like to do is first of all, get consensus on whether we need
>a point release of slink, and what needs to be in it.  My stuff above
>is a starting point.
>
>Then we'll need to file the bugs, get them fixed (thru hook, crook, or
>NMU), and then coordinate the archive mgmt, the boot-floppies, and the
>cd team.  I suggest we use the debian-testing list as a shared forum
>for now.

Fine, seems as good a place as any IMHO.

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
I sent ten dollars to death.net and all I got was... well, nothing.