Re: More graphical boot floppies issues

Ben Pfaff <blp@pfaffben.user.msu.edu> writes:
>     The last time I tried, "tar" would not work.
>
>There's a simple (trivial, really) extract-only tar called `star'.

Aha!  Well, I think it needs a symlink or wrapper named `tar', just
like asking for `vi' and getting `ae'.  I tried to use a rescue floppy
to recover a backup .tar file, and could not find `tar'.  I decided
that a floppy that could not unpack a tar file was not much of a
rescue floppy.

(I eventually executed a GNU tar from an NFS mount, only to find that
the libc on the rescue floppy does not supply a `mkfifo'!)

>I really like the one-floppy concept. ...  Maybe we should
>have separate install and rescue disks, where the rescue disks have
>tools but not install stuff.

Sounds good.

>On another note, Hartmut Koptein informs me that the 2.2.x drivers
>disk for some arch (powerpc? m68k?) overflows a 1.4MB disk if some
>modules are not left out.  I suspect that i386 does too, but I haven't
>checked yet.

It overflowed when I tried it.  By quite a bit.

		   - Jim Van Zandt