Re: More graphical boot floppies issues

"James R. Van Zandt" <jrv@vanzandt.mv.com> writes:

   I think we should sacrifice the "one floppy install" concept, in favor
   of separate boot and root floppies.  That would also give us room for
   a few more rescue tools.  The last time I tried, "tar" would not
   work.

There's a simple (trivial, really) extract-only tar called `star'.

   (Yet, the basic system comes in a tar file.  I never chased down
   how that works.)  We could also supply sfdisk in addition to fdisk,
   and maybe a better editor.

It's a good idea in one sense, since it would allow us to supply more
stuff, but I really like the one-floppy concept.  Newbies, and most
users I think, don't ever use the command-line tools.  Maybe we should
have separate install and rescue disks, where the rescue disks have
tools but not install stuff.  Then we could add a menu option to
dbootstrap to pull in the tools from the rescue disk into the
ramdisk.  Best of both worlds?

On another note, Hartmut Koptein informs me that the 2.2.x drivers
disk for some arch (powerpc? m68k?) overflows a 1.4MB disk if some
modules are not left out.  I suspect that i386 does too, but I haven't
checked yet.
--
"To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
 feature-poor toys." --Scott Adams