Re: boot-floppies 2.0.11

>>>>> "nicholas" == nicholas bamber <nicholas.bamber@mail1-gui.server.ntli.net> writes:
nicholas>     The base installation proceeds smoothly, but since the
nicholas> kernel doesn't get Etherteam support by default I can't set
nicholas> up the rest across the NFS.  After reading the Debian
nicholas> installation notes carefully, I built a kernel containing no
nicholas> modules, initial RAM disk, MSDOS+Minix+Ext2 filesystems, Elf
nicholas> executables (and of course support for my ethernet card) and
nicholas> attempted to replace the 'linux' file on a copy of the
nicholas> rescue disk with this kernel. However I could not build a
nicholas> kernel that was small enough.

FYI, the new Install Manual,
<URL:http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/>, but it looks like you did
your homework.

Have you tried the modules?  The drivers disk has more room.  Can your
driver be included as a module?

You should be working from 2.1.9 or thereabouts, not the 2.0.x series.

nicholas> Thus I also tried to use the 'boot-floppies' package. I
nicholas> encountered the following problems: 1.) There was no
nicholas> documentation on the Makefile variables.  2.) I don't know
nicholas> what 'sdc' is, although 'sgml2html' seemed to do as well.
nicholas> 3.) 'dselect' didn't seem to notice that 'zlib-dev' and
nicholas> 'sgm2html' are required.  4.) The kernel must be configured
nicholas> to include the 'loopback' device.

All of this is more documented and/or solved for the 2.1.x series of
boot-floppies.