Re: resc1440tecra ok but image?

On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 11:47:31PM +0000, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> As with the old tecra ones, that's a custom kernel Herbert build and
> uploaded to incoming, just for the boot-floppies team, not for the FTP
> archive. :-(

When, during my experiments, I smoked out my custom kernel, I simply
had to reinstall the custom kernel-image.
On my first attempt, useng the floppy found on the net, when I wiped
away the good kernel and had no .deb , I had to start with the rescue
disk, mount all my partition (without initialize them :-) and install
system and modules. Then I had problem with pcmcia.

My feeling is that we MUST put the tecra kernel-image AND corresponding
pcmcia-modules packages in the distribution.

Not doing this, we also break the promise of reproducibility of the
boot-floppies package.

> > >From the various test I made I noticed that if I didn't install
> > those custom packages, then a subsequent upgrade can put a too-big
> > kernel, or non working pcmcia.
>
> It shouldn't. The base system doesn't contain a kernel-image package, nor
> a pcmcia-modules package, so there's no way for an upgrade to install one
> unless the user selects it himself.

Humm, you're right, as in that occasion I simply replaced the kernel in
a std rescue floppy.

But anyway, if we don't provide tecra kernel images and pcmcia modules
for future kernels, how can people upgrade their systems?
Do they have to reinstall them?

fab