Re: corrections to the Installation manual

On Friday 26 February 1999, at 13 h 24, the keyboard of Matej Vela
<mvela@public.srce.hr> wrote:

> install.sgml, line 1558:

This is 1583 for me. I hope you do not work on a too old version?

>   Note that Linux will not use more than 128 megabytes of swap on
>   a single swap partition.
> This is not true for 64-bit machines (i. e. Alpha).

Added. As my teachers said, never use a constant (except 0 and 1) in a
program. Name it at the top then use the name. Thanks to SGML entities.

> install.sgml, line 1784:
>   for a list of other software that may do the trick.  Note that if you
>   have Windows 95, you must run <prgn>defrag</prgn> from there, since
>   DOS doesn't understand the FAT32 type disk allocation tables sometimes
>   used in Windows 95 and higher.
> What DOS doesn't understand is VFAT (support for long names), always
> used in Windows 95 and higher.

Are you sure? The Fips documentation says nothing at all about this issue?

> dselect-beginner.sgml, line 669:
>   You can get an idea of the size of a package by hitting
>   <em>i</em>twice and looking for the ``Size'' figure. This is the size
>   of the crunched package, so the uncrunched files will be a lot bigger.
> IIRC, this is the purpose of the `Installed-Size' field.

Ooops, this was supposed to be fixed a long time ago. Done.

> And some simple, obvious corrections:

Patched.

Many thanks for the proofreading and the fixes. Like the ports to non-i386
architectures improve the overall quality of the Debian system, porting to
other languages help too :-)

>  Complete information regarding supported DEC Alphas can be found at
>  <url id="&url-alpha-howto;" name="Linux Alpha HOWTO">.  The
> -purpose of this section is to describe the sub-architectures supposed
> +purpose of this section is to describe the sub-architectures supported

This is perfect to describe the state of slink for the Alphas :-)