Re: corrections to the Installation manual

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 01:24:52PM +0100, Matej Vela wrote:
> install.sgml, line 1558:
>   Note that Linux will not use more than 128 megabytes of swap on
>   a single swap partition.  However, you can make multiple swap
> This is not true for 64-bit machines (i. e. Alpha). From the Linux
> FAQ:
>   Linux on machines with 8KB paging, like Alpha and Sparc64, support a
>   swap partition up to 512MB. The 128MB limitation comes from
>   PAGE_SIZE*BITSPERBYTE on machines with 4KB paging, but is 512KB on
>   machines with 8KB paging. The limit is due to the use of a single page
>   allocation map.
Note that this is also not true for the recent 2.2.x kernels. I don't think
they still have a limit on the swapfile that is likely to be exceeded when
installing a machine.

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source