Re: pppconfig vs preselections (was Re: boot disk comments)

On Thursday 25 February 1999, at 2 h 18, the keyboard of Adam Di Carlo
<aph@debian.org> wrote:

> > install his Debian from Internet.  When he took a package selection
> > (yes, I know: what set? :) and modified it a little bit (changed
> > smail to sendmail), he asked dselect to [I]nstall, and [R]emove,
> I don't know that it's possible for the preselections to remove
> packages -- Stephane?  Thoughts?

No, it should never happen. I installed slink an incredible number of times in the last weeks, even for PPP installation some times (great with a null-modem cable) and I never saw that. Preselections just add "status" files which are set with dpkg.

It is probably dselect's fault. When you use the preselections, you are expected (and, yes, there is a message on the screen reminding you) to SKIP the Select step in dselect. Otherwise, dselect adds or removes stuff at will (there have been a bug about dselect adding packages which conlict with the preselected list) and it's up to you to check the resulting list of packages.