Re: boot disk comments

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:00:31 +0000, Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> said:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 06:33:38PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
>> Adam Di Carlo writes: > In dbootstrap you mean?
>>
>> > Is it a known bug?  First I've heard of that.
>>
>> I've been getting bug reports about it since hamm came out.  There
>> was a discussion of various fixes a while back.  I thought
>> something was going to be done: I was wrong.

> I can't remember anything about that discussion. Care to refresh my
> memory, please?

Enrique, when the user runs pppconfig, they are prompted for the name
of the ISP connection. Naturally they're going to pick a name which is
*not* provider.  However, unless they manipulate the symlinks or name
it provider, or specially invoke the pon script, their nice new
configuration isn't going to fire.

Hence user confusion, bugs reported against pppconfig, etc.

John, is this a correct statement of the issue?

John's solution is either

(a) use the new pppconfig 1.2 (*sigh* -- which is in potato and not
slink) with the new --noname switch, which will inhibit the user from
being prompted for a name for the connection, and which will use
'provider' by default

or

(b) do some crazy hack in whatever is being run after pppconfig to
bring the link up so that we detect what the most recently configured
PPP peer is and use that

If we want to do (a) I think we need to lobby to get pppconfig 1.2
into slink.