Boot disks and new DVD drives

I was talking to a friend today and he complained that he could not get
Linux to install on his new machine (he tried installation both from a
Debian 2.0 and a RH 5.2 CD). The machine was a new one with one of the
DVD-ROM drives. Apparently the problem was that 2.0.36 can't handle
those drives yet and you need a more recent kernel.

This would mean that our boot-disks don't work for a reasonably large
proportion of new machines that are currently being sold.

Could someone please check if this is really so, and if so what we can
do about this?

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl