Re: something wicked in boot-floppies -- new rev impossible

Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:35:36 +0100 (CET), Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> said:
> > Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> >>  There's something seriously amiss in the new boot-floppies.  The
> >> system installs ok, but after installation of the base system and
> >> reboot on my own power (x86), I get
> >>
> >> VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.  INIT: version 2.76
> >> booting /etc/init.d/rcS: /etc/default/rcS: No such file or
> >> directory INIT: Entering runlevel: 2 login[13]: unable to change
> >> tty `/dev/tty1' for user `root'
> >>
> >> Unable to change tty /dev/tty1: Illegal seek
> >>
> >> [repeat last two messages over and over]
> >>
> >> What the heck did we do?  I booted from the rescue disk and the
> >> /dev/tty* major and minor numbers seem ok.
>
> > What kind of /dev/console do you have on your system (real
> > dev/symlink) ?
>
> Symlink to tty0, just exactly as it is on my other (fully functional)
> machine.
>
> >  Have you tried to relink it to /dev/tty1 ?
>
> Um.  That seems wrong.  Anyhow, I tried it and that didn't work either.

Oops, sorry for the typo...

Could it be a problem in sysvinit package (no recent upload ?) or your base
system ?
Did you try init=/bin/sh to bypass init ?

Could also come from dboostrap writting a weird /etc/inittab.  Did you check
/etc/inittab ?

BTW I've no problem of this kind with the install I just finished on my
SparcClassic based on the latest boot-floppies from CVS.  Just fixed the
/dev/console -> /dev/tty0 problem for 2.0 kernels (I will commit it
immediately).

Hope this helps.