What if there is no HDA? I'm asked to repartition..again.

I have a peculiar bug.  I have a system that has the primary IDE
controller disabled.  This is a motherboard that I'm resurrecting for
the sake of having a crash-box.  At the moment, I don't recall why I
disabled the primary IDE, but I'm sure there was a good reason.

Anyway, the install diskette tells me to partition the drive, which I
do, but it won't recognize the partitions on /dev/hdc.  Even if I
attempt to choose to initialize the partition from the list of
available actions, I am prevented from continuing by errors reported
in mke2fs.  Neither can I run mke2fs from the secondary console.

While this probably doesn't constitute a show stopper, I can see no
reason why we should require the that the primary IDE controller be
available.

Cheers.