Re: more language support

On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 06:29:10PM +0100, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we need much more language support for potato! This begins at the
> boot-floppies and ends by the debian/control.<language> for each
> package.

(By reading the responses to this thread, it looks like everybody has
ideas for the boot-floppies, but no one wants to touch that evil
dselect/dpkg thingie...) ;-)

> The description for every package should look-up - for every supported
> language - in dselect (and dpkg -s xxxx, ....) and other debian-admin
> tools.

There have been a few proposals for i18n of descriptions, in debian-devel
and debian-i18n. To name one, IIRC, the debian-ja project uses a modified
dselect that reads the translated descriptions from a different Packages
file. But our dselect itself is not i18'zed! (the menus and help texts
are hardcoded, not gettextized...). What about starting with the easy
steps?

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es