Re: boot parameters and bootkbd

On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 03:16:11PM +0000, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> dbootstrap reads boot parameters form /proc/cmdline . If bootkbd is
[...]
> That way we can "automatize" that step. If we have to install Debian in
> many machines, and all of them use (say) spanish keyboards, just adding
> "bootkbd=qwerty/es" on syslinux.cfg on the rescue floppy means we won't
> have to go through the keyboard selection step for each machine.
> The same may be easily done for the "Color or Monochrome" step and the
> tzconfig step.
>
> I plan to go on adding boot parameters for other steps to reduce
> interactivity as much as I can. Also I plan to implement a "save

I think it would be better in the long run to have a configuration file
to place in the rescue disk.
The cmdline buffer of the kernel is limited to 2kb initially and to
256 bytes after the boot completes if I remember correctly, so we
won't be able to store much stuff in there.

lupus

--
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
    - _The UNIX Programmer's Manual_, Second Edition, June, 1972.