Re: controlling installation from a serial terminal

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:13:54 +0000, Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> said:
> There's already support for serial consoles on Sparc and
> VME/m68k. It's trivial to use that on other architectures where the
> kernel supports them. It's just a matter of #define SERIAL_CONSOLE
> on dinstall.h for i386 and booting with the proper kernel parameter
> (console=/dev/ttyS*).
[...]
> I would try using a 2.1.x kernel. There may be other problems, as
> the floppies have been tested with 2.0.x kernels only, but it may
> work.

I assume that SERIAL_CONSOLE is going to be mainstream for the potato
release... right?

James, if you get it to work, I could use some docuemntation for how
to use this.  I guess maybe it's as simple as that extra boot arg and
then hooking up to that serial port?