Re: Default LILO config -- prompt and timeout

Ben Pfaff writes:
 > Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:
 >
 >    I think we should change the default LILO config to prompt the
 >    user (so they don't have to hit shift to get a LILO prompt)
 >    and then time out in a reasonable value, say 7 seconds.
 >
 >    This can be done by adding:
 >
 >    prompt
 >    timeout=70
 >
 >    to the default /etc/lilo.conf. Is the boot floppies package the right
 >    place for this? Making the user hit shift for a LILO prompt is oogy.
 >
 > I agree with the `prompt' part, but 7 seconds is IMO too long.  2
 > seconds is more reasonable IMO and is the current value IIRC.

Why is 2 seconds better?  If you don't like waiting for 7 seconds,
then hit enter.  If you just power on and go to get a coke, you'll
never notice the difference.

In any case, lilo should be compiled with -DONESHOT, so that those
of us that need some time to think things over, can just hit the
tab or space key when the lilo prompt first comes up.

HTH,

--
Jeff Sheinberg  <jeffsh@erols.com>