Re: Observations on installing other Linux distribs

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 11:46:30PM -0500, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Over the last couple of weekends, I've been installing as many Linux
> distributions as I can find on a spare machine sitting on my desk.
> I've taken voluminous notes, included below, about the good and bad
> points of each.  I thought that maybe the debian-boot list would be
> interested in taking a look at my notes.  I'm not done installing all
> the distributions that I'm going to, but you still might find the
> results interesting.

Very interesting indeed! Thanks for this report.

> Before anyone says anything, yes I am planning to put my code where my
> mouth is.  It might be a while, though.

My english is not good enough to understand this. What does that mean "I am
planning to put my code where my mouth is"?

> Ben

> Caldera OpenLinux 1.2
> ---------------------
>
> * Cool opening screen :-)

Hmm, do we need such a thing? :)

> * Doesn't shield user from mke2fs output like Red Hat.  Is this good?

Yes - in my opinion. Of course I does not need to display this information on
the first virtual terminal. But it should be possible to get this output. I
like to know what's going on.

> Stampede 0.86
> -------------
>
> [...]
> * Exited setup program.  Then Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot.  Unfortunately
>   its LILO setup apparently had failed without telling me because it
>   said `no bootable partition' at boot-up and I had to boot via rescue
>   disk.

Probably this is a bug in your BIOS. I had a BIOS which refused to boot when
there is no active partition. It is really wrong in this. It should boot as
there is the LILO in the MBR. Actually it is wrong to activate a partition if
you boot from the MBR but when I tried it it worked anyway.

cu
    Torsten