Re: Debian Floppies/ReiserFS

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 01:45:07AM +0100, Dermot McGahon wrote:

> I would be very interested in the current state of play with regard to
> Debian and Reiser ? What can be done at the moment ? Are your patches
> the only ones ? Are they ready for production machines ???

Basicly, I took woody and slapped a reiserfs capable kernel.deb into
it. I also produced a reiser-utils package (similar to the currently
official reiser package).

At the moment, using my diskettes, it is possible to install a
full debian (woody) with the root filesystem on reiserfs.

The process is NOT streamlines. It requires much manual intervention,
ignoring the busybox and `mkreisefs`-ing on the command line,
`mount`-ing on the command line, installation of GRUB instead of
LILO (which does not like reiserfs, seemingly, on IDE disks).

I know that a Debian developer (sorry, I forget the name) has
done something very similar.

As for 'production-readiness' - I have been using Debian with
reiserFS for a very long while mainly because fsck-ing a 200GB
partion on ext2 is NOT to be borne by those born of woman ;-).

I have had almost no trouble with it, except some NFS fuckups.
These seem to have been resolved.

> Any information about Debian and journalled file systems would be
> welcomed. Please assume that I know /nothing/.

This I will answer privately later, must run. We're having a bit of
a war here ;-).

--
---MAV
                       Linguists Do It Cunningly